Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MUSLIMS LEAVE FRIENDS DUMFOUNDED ?


A decade or so ago, my friend Mr Masroor Ahmed Khan, was given a ticket by Indian Union Muslim League to contest Chandni Chowk Parliamentary constituency in Delhi. He invited me to meet his new propagandist, whom he had invited from Bhopal to canvass voters in his favour. The whole Fourth Estate of Delhi gave Mr Khan a cold shoulder because of his association with Muslim League, who helped create Pakistan. Whether this League was Indian or Pakistani, nobody bothered. But I was with him as a friend and journalist.
I reached Mr Khan's house in Ballimaran and chose to sit on a three-seat sofa. Presently the propagandist, a girl child of about 10, was ushered in by her father, male relatives and League workers. She sat down with her father. Mr Khan asked me if I wanted to interview her. I nodded and fired my first question. She replied in a hushed voice, which I could not decipher. When I repeatedly failed to make head or tail of her answers, Mr Khan asked her to move near me. Knowing the conservatism of Muslims, I moved to one corner of the sofa, but the girl sat by me. To mitigate her nervousness, I put my hand on her back.
Suddenly, her father shouted, "Take off your hand, you *@#..." And he rushed towards me with eyes blazing. But before he could reach me all those present held him back and took him out of the room.
For a moment I was stunned. I could have walked out of the proposed interview, could have given back abuse for abuse, or could have started an agitation against Indian Muslims. But I had learnt long ago that the job at hand - gathering news - was more important than personal ego. So I stayed put - alone. As the girl had also been called out !
Soon Mr Khan returned and sincerely apologized for the misbehaviour of the father. The father returned with the others and said he was wrong and begged my forgiveness and himself sat his daughter by my side. I waved the apologies to one side and got down to business.
This episode confirmed my belief that Muslims, given time and space, are the best citizens India could hope for. They are, generally, avid readers. They don't forget what they read - and, God forbid, forgive. Their respect for written word is well-known. They are lucky that God calls them five times a day to His chamber. And they are - whether rich or poor - most hygienic and clean when they go to say Namaz.
The other day at Jamia Millia Islamia University in Delhi, one came across a student who was busy with his studies, while his colleagues were shouting slogans in front of Vice-Chancellor's office. We asked him why was he not with other students. He said : "Sir, I wish to finish my studies. That's the purpose I am here for. And not to shout slogans." That again confirmed my theory.
Some time ago one read in the papers that a Muslim girl had approached the court to facilitate her education, as some pesons were stopping her from going to college. Of all the places in the world, this had to happen in Mumbai.
This is a rough sketch of common Muslims.
Their "leadership" is full of ideas to reform the Muslim community and unite them. One hears about lots of "Fatwas" and after close scrutiny one finds that they have not been whetted by competent Muslim Constitutional or legal luminaries. There is no dearth of the latter, though. Moreover, the wording leaves their non-Muslim friends dumfounded and they just cannot say a word in Muslims favour.
o0o

No comments: